How To Lodge Complaint
Last Updated on Friday, 11 February 2011 09:58 Written by Administrator Thursday, 29 July 2010 12:58
- Complaints relating to information of central government public authorities are to be lodged with Central Information Commission [CIC], August Kranti Bhavan, Bhikaji Kama Place,NEW DELHI 110066.
In case of information of public authorities of State Govts, complaints have to be lodged with respective State Information Commissions [SICs]. Details are available on official websites of State Govts. /State Information Commissions. Please refer to www.cic.gov.in and visit icon- CICs of States
- CIC and some of SICs have prescribed minimum information or papers that must be submitted with the complaint. Some SICs have prescribed format for complaint.
- CIC does not charge any fee for complaints. Some SICs charge fees for this purpose.
- There is no time limit for lodging complaint, but it is advisable to lodge the same within reasonable time of happening of cause for complaint.
- Send copy of complaint to PIO/FAA simultaneous with CIC/SIC. At times PIO/FAA solves your problem before hearing at CIC/SIC.
- Ask for punishment to PIO/FAA under the act and also claim compensation for not getting the information in time.
- Information Commissions are vested with powers of Civil Courts in respect of summoning, enforcing attendance, giving evidence on oath, producing records, etc.
- Complaint is in addition to Second/final Appeal available to applicants.
- It is advisable to simultaneously approach head of the organization or govt. dept at capital-level [secretary/chief secretary] for his intervention. This may help get information.
- After lodging complaint, please check from concerned website if the same is registered and registration number and status.
- In case of information pertaining to life and liberty, the complaint should be conspicuously branded as “Life & Liberty-Urgent” so that priority is accorded for its disposal before it is too late. Follow-up through email is recommended if available with SIC.
- CIC/SICs are flooded with appeals/complaints and there is huge pendency. Thus it may take 12 to 36 months before complaint is heard.
- It is advisable to take free help from experienced RTI activists/NGO if locally available so that matter can be effectively and properly represented through complaint.